Thursday, October 14, 2010

On Playing Games With Simon

Simon is just 2 years and 4 months.
And he's playing games with us!
I don't know what it is, but when my little peeps are big enough to play a game, it feels like such a turning point. That they understand the structure of rules, that we can interact without being a slave to Toddler La-La Land, parallel play or resorting to distraction or teaching or even just spacey co-existence. As I write this, I realize that this says more about my personality than anything else...but that sounds like a post for another day.
So Simon's game of choice is Clifford Bingo. He gets it. He always chooses a card with an "O", since that is his favorite letter. I call out the letters. We play until the entire card is full. Then he says "Bingo!" and dumps the covers back in the box and chooses a new card. I'll say "Who has a....'D'?" and he'll either say "Yeah D!" or maybe "No D" or "Mama D", and he thinks it's really funny if he said he doesn't have it and then I see that he does.
We've tried Candyland. Not quite ready yet. He plays for about seven minutes, then scatters the cards all over the place, or he turns over all the cards to look for the candy pieces.
Having more luck with the Madeleine game, which is similar to Candyland, but instead of cards we use a little bag with colored glass gemstones. They are fun to handle, and he digs that. But he cheats something fierce. If you draw a purple stone, you get to draw a card. So he says "My tuhn!" then pretends to close his eyes, but really he looks in the bag through his squint and selects a purple. Every single time. He acts surprised, as in "Oh look! Poh-pul. I daw card."
I've also tried concentration-type games. There are no synapses firing at all. He sees the cards as obstacles for his cars to run over. Ditto with Hi Ho Cherry-O.
Oh well. For now, I've got Bingo.

No comments: