Saturday, December 4, 2010

Tummy Bugs

So today I organized a field trip to the Brooklyn Museum. I had maybe 18 people coming and normally would have been the one to collect the money, meet with the docent etc. But when I woke up I couldn't shake the feeling of nausea, and I started making back up plans, like taking Ziploc bags in my pockets in case I felt sick on the subway. Isn't it funny how your mind starts to go there and you don't realize that your train of thought is seriously screwed up, but just seems normal? Or maybe that's just me. I couldn't face making breakfast or lunch, and found myself lying on the living room floor instead of getting us out the door. Brett offered to take the big kids for me--he made lunch and breakfast and took off with them.
The next 6 hours found me in bed, moaning, sleeping and not venturing too far from the bathroom. Yuck. Stomach flu. Brett ended up taking the whole day off--went out later with Simon to pick up the kids and when Simon got up from his stroller nap he started throwing up too. You guys, he is the sweetest sick person ever. We made a nest on the floor and he snuggled up staring into my eyes telling me he felt "yad" (sad). By evening time, Jonah was crying with a stomach ache, Maya was threatening to go hang out on the roof (in 30 something degree weather) just to avoid our germs, and Brett was cheerfully waiting on us, cleaning up, doing laundry and dishes, running to the store for sick food. It says a lot about his current state of work affairs that he was delighted with his "day off". Jonah finally tossed it around 9 pm. And when that kid starts, look out. He also doesn't stand still, and although we had many practice runs earlier in the day, he still does this pacing thing that could be utterly disasterous. Most of it made it into the bathroom, and the three of us are feeling better, and have been able to drink a little and I've even eaten some toast.
What struck me was what a wonderful day of family togetherness this was. That sounds deranged. But it was the first time in a long time that we've all worked together for the same thing, that we were mostly home together, taking care of each other. Although we felt crappy, there was this cohesive teamwork thing that really tied us together--you know, the same feeling when you have a bad vacation or you get lost and scared and it's raining and you surrender to the situation and just do your best, and lo and behold, you come out on the other side with stories to laugh about and a little bit of connection that you don't notice when things are easy and everyone is well.
All the same, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that M and B don't get it, and that the rest of us feel well in the morning.

No comments: