Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dancer!

I just came from watching Maya perform in The Nutcracker. It was so much fun! She auditioned this fall at the suggestion of her new ballet instructor, who thinks that every ballet student should participate in such a show. They don't cut anyone, it's just a matter of finding the right role. So Maya is an angel, which is a very small role--beginner-ish, for kids age 8-10 or so. She's been rehearsing once a week at a ballet studio that always has a lot going on--we can watch adult classes, or bigger girls en pointe--it's been a pretty fun place to hang out.
In lieu of payment for the experience, I opted to volunteer to help with costumes. I did that for a few hours on Monday night, and all of a sudden I realized what a big production this is. All fall, all I've seen are a couple kids' groups rehearsing. Well the production has an overwhelming cast, full of adult professional dancers. The costumes are beautiful, and many, and I spent most of my time ironing petticoats and chatting with the career costume people about their varied experiences, so different than my own. The costumes come out of storage the week of the performances and need a lot of work by a full time crew to get them ready for the stage.
The backstage scene, where I drop Maya off--well, it's a bustling place. So many choreographers, costume people, dancers, technical people--it's just amazing. I touch up Maya's make-up, send her off with a backpack full of things to do while she waits, hair things in case she needs a re-do, and she's a performer for the evening.
Watching the show--I was thoroughly entertained. The dancers were beautiful--it was a wonderful show. I haven't figured out a way to get photos, but we're working on it.
I'm so grateful that Maya gets this opportunity--to be inspired, to be part of something that is bigger than she is. She's starting small, but in a way that gives her the full experience of what this kind of life must be like. It's a lot of fun.
Brett gets to see tomorrow's show, which will be Maya's last. Then she's going to go on Sunday to see another cast perform, so she'll get to be an audience member too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you liked my show!

Bonnie Nieuwstraten said...

Glad that you're blogging! I love to hear what you're up to. What a great experience for Maya! Wish we could have seen her~