Monday, August 22, 2011

The Problem With Kids Who Read

OK, am I the only one who finds the habit of kids reading all day annoying? When we aren't out of our apartment, the kids are pretty much reading. And reading. And reading some more. They answer questions like this:
"Uh huuuuuuuuh"
They answer requests to do something like this:
"In a minute"
And they are boring and immobile and they don't want me to turn the light out at night and they carry their big books with them everywhere and they aren't really participating in...stuff. If I have any brilliant (if I do say so myself) ideas about what we should do, they have to wait until the end of a page, a chapter, a book.
Jonah is mostly reading the Warriors series. There are about 40 books in it, and he is maybe on number 15. He loves them. The books are about feral cats--they live in clans and they have all sorts of adventures and fights with rival clans.
Maya is reading Gone, The Swiss Family Robinson, and A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.
Out loud at night I read to them too--just finished in the last week The Fellowship of the Ring and The Curse of the Pharaoh, and I guess we're still in the middle of The Yearling, The Bible and Caesar's Gallic War. Jonah inherited my head-hits-the-pillow-and-I'm-asleep thing, so he's been falling asleep in the middle of a chapter and we have to update him on the characters' progress the next night.
A series that he likes is like a Crack (sorry, do you capitalize drug names or is that only in German?) trail to Jonah...he can't really see anything but the trail he's following. Good in some ways, bad in others. He keeps giving updates about how many pages he has left too, so I guess it's not just Reading, but Reading AND Math to him?
They are only only copying us, I suppose--Brett is nearly done with War and Peace, and I'm in the middle of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn right now. We read a lot. We all have our own book clubs and reading is just something that is important to us all.
I suppose I'm happy that they are reading a lot, and it isn't that there are things I wish they were doing instead of reading (the dishes? playing with Simon? making lunch for me since I'm so busy...reading?), I guess it just feels like the end of an era. An era of playing and dress up for all-day-long imaginative games and making things out of the contents of the recycle bin. Sigh. If I tell them I'm sad they are getting so big they might just roll their eyes...but maybe one of them will come over and give me a hug...just as soon as they finish their chapter.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I can understand what you mean. Sometimes it is important to put the book down and be present and do something together or at at least one on one. I can't believe this is the first time I have heard of your blog.